Our goal is to provide your school with one-on-one supplemental literacy support and mentoring relationships that help children thrive. East Side Learning Center (ESLC) offers a high quality program rooted in best practices in literacy tutoring and mentoring, with positive and consistent support from highly trained volunteers. We are committed to helping students become fluent readers, using methodology informed by the Science of Reading and rigorous evaluation. ESLC supplements classroom literacy work while also supporting social-emotional growth. ESLC measures its success using your data and agreed-upon goals for students. To accomplish our shared goals, the school staff partner with ESLC staff. Together, we can do more.
Want to learn more about our programs? Click here
How It Works
- School partners identify students who will work with ESLC mentors for the school year. Students referred are not more than two years behind their peers, but this is negotiable depending on each school's needs.
- ESLC site coordinators work with school partners to create a tutoring schedule for learners. In-person individual reading support utilizes a pull-out tutoring approach.
- School partners provide reading baseline assessments at the beginning of the year.
- Volunteer mentors have pre-service training as well as 25+ hours of annual training in literacy and mentoring best practices. Volunteers commit a specific amount of time each week dedicated to building positive, caring relationships with students.
- Students receive a one-on-one 30-minute tutoring session 2 to 4 days per week.
- Students receive books throughout the year to develop their home libraries.
We would love the opportunity to partner with your school and bring our relationship-centered, evidence-based approach to literacy tutoring to help your scholars thrive and find joy in reading.